Submit an article
The submission procedure is fully electronic. Apples as an Internet journal makes it possible to publish papers immediately after they have been accepted as an on-going process. In addition to individual articles, we also encourage thematic issues, which present larger issues, research projects, network outcomes etc.There are no submission fees, page fees, color fees or other charges for authors.
Types of submissions
The following types of articles will be considered for publication.
- Research articles (main body of text max 8000 words), which make an original contribution (theoretical and/or empirical) to the field of applied language studies);
- Review articles (main body of text max 8000 words), which critically reflect a particular theme or comprehensively discuss the state-of-the-art in the field of applied language studies.
All articles will be peer reviewed by at least two external reviewers.
In addition, we also encourage shorter submissions (no peer review), such as
- Discussion notes (max 2000 words) which comment on a particular topic, issue, or an article; or report on ongoing or emerging research.
- Book reviews and reviews of teaching material, language tests, policy initiatives, etc (max 2000 words). (See below for more detailed book review instructions
The working language of the journal is English. It is also possible to publish in other languages. If you wish to do so, please contact the editors.
All articles should be accompanied by a 250 word abstract in English. For articles written in any other language than English, an additional English language summary of max 2000 words should be submitted after the article has been accepted in the review process.
- Have you followed the instructions for authors?
- Is the submission an original piece of work, which does not duplicate any other previously published work, including your own?
- Have you removed all references to your identity (name, e-mail, organization) from the final PDF-version of your manuscript? Remember also to check PDF file properties for possible author information.
- If applicable, do you have written permission to reprint copyrighted materials (texts, tests, tables or illustrations), in whole or in part? If your article is accepted, you are expected to submit this written permission to Apples - Journal of Applied Language Studies
- If applicable, do you have written permission from individuals within photographs, video clips or other material in which they are visually identifiable? If your article is accepted, you are expected to submit this written permission to Apples - Journal of Applied Language Studies
Additional information about book reviews
- If you wish to have your book considered for review, please send it or request your publisher to send it to Apples – Journal of Applied Language Studies at Apples, c/o Centre for Applied Language Studies, P.O. Box 35, FI-40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland
- Apples – Journal of Applied Language Studies primarily publishes books reviews on books that are forthcoming or within two years of the date of publication. Apples publishes both unsolicited and solicited substantive book reviews which have a wide appeal for our readers.
- Apples – Journal of Applied Language Studies expects reviewers to write a judicious, engaging, insightful and reasoned critique of the work. All reviews should provide evaluative feedback and a treatment of the book in a larger disciplinary perspective and broader body of scholarly literature and related publications.
- Apples – Journal of Applied Language Studies cannot guarantee that any book review submitted will be published or the reviewer will be furnished with comments and feedback.
- If you would like to become book reviewer for Apples – Journal of Applied Language Studies and to be added to the reviewer database, please apply by sending an updated CV to the Editor of book reviews at email@example.com. These details will not be passed on to third parties.